Roleplaying Video Games Entertainment & Media Politics & World
General Spirituality & Philosophy Worldbuilding Creative Forum
The Sports Center Science, Math, & Technology The Nostalgia Forum Sexuality
Community feedback needed: add_comment New add_comment New request

Entertainment & Media

movies watched 2020

Posted Over 1 Year ago by Jet Presto

New year, new thread!

I just got back from CATS. And just...wow...so much has been made about the freaky look of them, but you kinda settle into it. The CGI is all over the place, but one imagines that the result of inadequate production time and planning, as well as likely poor directing from Tom Hooper. (Word is that he didn't use the proper mo-cap markings, so the team had a hell of a time trying to keep up. This reminds me of the story that he didn't shoot Les Mis with a click track, which made it harder for the editors in post.) But the whole thing is a mess. Some of it is because its Cats, so innately an incoherent mess. But the audio mixing is incredibly weird and jarringly bad at times. The editing and camerawork is chaotic. Perspective and scale is all over the place. There's even a point where I can see that they used different takes of the same shot, but it's a close up of someone's face, so for just a half second, you can see the image, like, "jump."

It's wild how many technical issues exist in the film that I kind of can't believe the studio released it.

There are 89 Replies

Keep in mind, the kind of people making these movies once thought that weird Sonic The Hedgehog was OK for an extended trailer.

Over 1 Year ago
mariomguy

Well, this is the thing: I don't think it's the people making the movie's fault. A lot of it is definitely Tom Hooper's fault, especially if it's true that he shot the thing without proper mo-cap markers. But I think this is almost a case of "crunch" really shining through. The studio wanted to release it for Christmas (to compete with Star Wars, for some reason), and it didn't matter that it wasn't totally finished. So they had to rush it.

That's really the only way it makes any sense that it has so many technical issues, especially with the CGI, editing, and sound mixing. I suppose it could have gone over budget, but again, that's Tom Hooper's fault.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

Peter Pan - The first time I watched it in complete form. Great movie.

Class of 1984 - A great revenge movie about a teacher who clashes with a gang that rules over the high school. It represents a clash between two unstoppable forces, one fighting for idealism, and the other an incorrigible thug. Boasting a talented cast, a strong script, and a moving soundtrack, this movie is definitely worth watching, and I could kick myself for taking so long to watch this.

Over 1 Year ago
Post-Wall Olga

Saw 1917.

Thought it was good, and very technically impressive. But it's also kind of innately gimmicky. I think the gimmick works really well (that being it's shot using nothing but tracking shots to give it the appearance of being all one take). It's really impressive what they managed to do and how well they pull it off. And given the movie only has, like, 1.5 characters, really, it's impressive they made something so gripping.

I don't really think it's "Best Picture" or anything. I know Hollywood loves the oner, so that's probably all it took. But it's definitely worth seeing in theaters. Did feel like the score was a little heavy-handed, but it's a really well-executed film that I can't even imagine the amount of work required to do it. Just didn't necessarily find the film overall to be all that incredible otherwise. A great cinematic experience with a paper thin story, a gimmick that gets old, then becomes a strength again late, that excellently conveys the horrible slog that is war, and the futility of WWI.

It's strange because I don't want to "talk shit" about the movie, since it's good! Just not sure I'd argue it's "Best Picture" level good. Especially beyond the conceit of the one-shot (which, granted, is a pretty big part to ignore), it doesn't necessarily do anything that interesting. It's mostly Lord of the Rings meets Saving Private Ryan meets Dunkirk meets Birdman.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

Spirit Stallion of the Cimarron - Wonderful. Just terrific. I loved horsed as a kid. I loved everything about them, and I love this movie. This movie makes it quite clear that horses don't want to be ridden. The scene when the stallion is caught and the villain tries to break his spirit so that the horse will let himself be ridden highlight that in such a sad way.

Over 1 Year ago
Post-Wall Olga

It's a super fun story. I think we can all relate to feeling trapped, but as the movie shows, we can pull through. It's a great way to spend an hour and a half. The ending was also really powerful when Little Creek says farewell to the horse and names him spirit.

Over 1 Year ago
Post-Wall Olga

It's been a while. My top films of last year:

Jojo Rabbit
An Elephant Sitting Still
Little Women
Knives Out
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Avengers: Endgame

Other favourites:

Marriage Story
The Farewell
Ash Is Purest White
Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood
The Irishman
One Cut of the Dead
The Last Black Man in San Fransisco
The King
Dolemite Is My Name
Always Be My Maybe

Still waiting on The Lighthouse to get its cinema release here (not until Feb 6). I adored Eggers' last film, The Witch, and had been following the production of this one ever since. So this loooong wait has been excruciating. Never found the time to see Parasite in its short release window either, sadly. Hopefully I can remedy that soon.

Over 1 Year ago
Orion Nebula

I didn't get a chance to see The Lighthouse when we had it, but it was on most of my co-workers' list of favorites.

We still haven't gotten Portrait of a Lady on Fire. Keeps getting delayed here for some reason.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

Back to the future 1 and 2.

Over 1 Year ago
S.o.h

Just saw Parasite 2 days ago. Super compelling film. I was surprised, really. I don't mind subtitles or anything in my movies and I know that sways a lot of people. Surprisingly a lot of people were there to see the movie.

I don't want to give anything away especially if you know nothing but I will say that it's not a story I've heard anywhere else. I don't think there was a second in the film where I was bored or I drifted off. I was enthralled the whole way through. First thing I went to say to my wife was basically that it was "very compelling" but she said "enthralled" so we were on nearly the same page. The shots were very interesting and the music was always used appropriately to make a scene feel very enhanced.

Over 1 Year ago
Fox Forever

I highly recommend checking out Bong Joon-ho's other films. They are also very excellent, though a bit weirder.

He's a very tight film director, which I love. Like I love that the Park family is always seen ascending stairs, but more often than not, the Kims are seen descending. (The rainstorm sequence is still one of the coolest visual sequences I think I saw all year. Really love it.) And then everything with shot composition in the film and his usage of the lines in the space...So good. It's not my favorite of his films, but I think it's excellent and was definitely worthy of its accolades. I see people leaving the theater all the time who don't really "get it" in terms of what it's about or depicting exactly, but they still like it, which means it still works very much as a movie if you somehow don't pick up on its themes.

It wasn't a movie, but probably the last thing I watched was John Mulaney and the Sack Lunch Kids on Netflix. I dunno that I've ever been so jealous that I didn't write something as much as that. So good!

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

I highly recommend checking out Bong Joon-ho's other films.

Of his other movies I've seen Okja, Snowpiercer, and Mother. I've wanted to see The Host. I think Korean films are my primary "foreign films" area (outside of older kung fu Chinese movies).

Over 1 Year ago
Fox Forever

I see people leaving the theater all the time who don't really "get it" in terms of what it's about or depicting exactly, but they still like it, which means it still works very much as a movie if you somehow don't pick up on its themes.

I don't know how people don't "get it" with this movie exactly. There's nothing really to "interpret" exactly or work through to understand it. It seems pretty straightforward. I can see how people don't like more complicated movies like Primer or Mother! (NOT the Korean one). I heard that the public was split on Parasite but I never saw anyone leave the theater. Though I did notice like nobody but me and my wife laughed at a lot of the movie.

The only thing I can possibly see that maybe people don't get is the father's choice. I do understand it but I asked my wife why she thinks it happened to get the same feeling. We both had slightly different thoughts on it.

Over 1 Year ago
Fox Forever

Yeah. I mean, I didn't think it was very subtle, either. But I think a lot of it is that folks often go into these things expecting a very clear "good/bad" dichotomy. And that wasn't really what Parasite was exploring, so it's just not there. I saw comedian Neal Brennan tweet about how the Kims were clearly the bad guys because they're trying to take advantage of the Parks, which, ya know, is so close to getting it!

The Host is honestly one of my all-time favorite movies. There are some more obvious "laugh moments" in there. I had a similar experience to you seeing Parasite. No one laughed at the stuff that I laughed at.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

But I think a lot of it is that folks often go into these things expecting a very clear "good/bad" dichotomy.

I may be out of touch with some movie goers but do grown adults [still] regularly do this? I used to think that way in movies up until I hit 14 or so. It's set up to view the Kims as bad and the Parks and Mrs. Moon as victims but you're exposed to all sides and nearly everyone has non-enjoyable traits.

Like 2 weeks ago I saw "The Last Black Man in San Francisco" (it's on Prime. Would recommend!) and the main character in the film said "People aren't just one thing" (sorry, no context) which put it so succinctly and it's funny how much that statement stuck with me after the fact.

Over 1 Year ago
Fox Forever

Ok GAWD. I got curious about the tweets you mentioned and I can't tell if he's joking or if those are really his takes. If they are I feel like I just wanna slap him on the back of the head. The man gets way too hung up on the title of the movie and other subsequent ones. Maybe we should just change titles to descriptions "This movie has class inequality and other societal issues". Most egregious thing I saw him say was:

the rich people weren't parasites. They paid their employees for goods and services. Meanwhile, the employees were exploiting them in various ways

And in response to someone saying that capitalism robs us of humanity he said the rich parents definitely had humanity because they threw parties for their kids.

Over 1 Year ago
Fox Forever

I saw The Baby. Hmm. It's hard to describe it, but definitely an unusual movie with a bizarre plot. It's light on gore, but it's still full of repulsive scenes. It's also based on a creepy fetish alot of people have, and the way they treat the "baby" would be so damaging but even just seeing this stuff, knowing it's fictional, makes you feel repulsed, so much that you'd feel like showering afterwards.

And the movie is somehow rated pg? Like, yes it's light on the gore, but jeeze. I cant think of a more abhorrent movie that's rated pg. It has a really appalling take on mental handicaps, furthermore, there's rape, incest, mistreatment, and an adult baby. Not a bad movie; if the goal is to make you feel filthy, as if you spent an hour wandering through a dump, then it accomplished its goal.

Over 1 Year ago
Post-Wall Olga

If you're talking about the 1973 movie then it's probably rated that because PG13 wasn't a thing yet and it was probably not "hard" enough to get an R rating. A bunch of movies had nudity or sexual things and ended up being rated PG.

Over 1 Year ago
Fox Forever

Yes, it was the 1973 movie. Ahh, I didn't know that. It's not like I viewed the movie expecting it to be a tame family film, but when I went to the IMDB page and saw the rating I was shocked. The movie was messed up with them cow prodding Baby, refusing to let him mentally develop, pacifying him by having his sister spend "quality time" together, and doing it because their hatred of men due to all the fathers having abandoned them. The enmity and tension between the social worker and the mother and sisters makes the movie worth watching, but jeeze what a messed up story.

Over 1 Year ago
Post-Wall Olga

I do think a lot of adults watch movies that way. These are the folks who liked Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody after all.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

I saw BIRDS OF PREY: OR THE FANTABULOUS EMANCIPATION OF ONE HARLEY QUINN. I quite enjoyed it! It was always going to be a tough sell; a quasi-sequel to one of the worst superhero films in the past decade that genuinely bombed, while also being a Rated-R flick in a February slot. It was only a "failure" because of the impossibly high standards of Marvel Studios and some recent DC superhero films like Aquaman and Shazam. If this movie came out 15 years ago, no one would talk about it as a failure, because it has actually had an adequate return for a rated R February film. The fact everyone's acting like it bombed reminds me of the big concern with Disney's monopolizing the industry, and the rather obscene obsession with comic book movies; there just isn't going to be room for the mid-tier movies anymore, which is a shame because those tend to be the ones that see the most originality.

Anyway, I quite enjoyed it. By no means perfect, but I thought it was fun and interesting with some solid action and a great performance from Margot Robbie.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

Bloody Birthday. It was a nice slasher movie about 3 kids who go on a killing spree on their 10th birthdays (they share the same birthdays). I have just begun exploring the killer kids genre, and other than the Children of the Corn movies, this is the only other one I've seen, but it was a good showing. The actors were good at portrayng soulless murderers. The girl of the group, Debbie, is the mastermind of the group, and the actress did well at going from innocent one minute to being the diabolical delinquent the next.

Over 1 Year ago
Post-Wall Olga

I just watched Downfall. Moving and informative.
(That’s Untergang in German with English subtitles.)

Over 1 Year ago
chiarizio

Revisited AUSTIN POWERS: INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY.

Ya know, I admire all the other actors' commitment, and there are a few gags that really work. (The steamroller bit is still funny.) But boy. That this movie was super popular tells us of just how different the '90s were. Definitely does not stand up.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

Well, since cinemas are closed due to the COVID-19 situation, I'm going through my Tote Bag of Titles! Over the year, whenever I've thought about a movie that I remembered liking but haven't seen in a while, I jot it down on a piece of paper and then put it in this tote bag. Every once in a while when nothing tickles my fancy after five minutes of scrolling, I just pull a random piece of paper from the bag.

I just rewatched THE RUTLES for the first time in ages, and there are some really good bits! The music is also really good. Neil Innes (RIP) does a great job mimicking the sound of the Beatles.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

Rewatched HER. Definitely liked it a lot more. I remember not really being into it when it first came out. Better and more interesting than memory served.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

I don’t know which movies I can rewatch. Or, which movies I missed first time around but can catch up with now.
I remember I liked the Rutles long ago. I don’t know if it’s available for me to see again.
I never saw HER. Maybe I should, if I can.

Over 1 Year ago
chiarizio

The Rutles isn't streaming on any service so far as I could tell. I found it weirdly just on YouTube. Pretty sure they did a few things with the frame size to get it past the censors, but it worked.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

I've been picking titles from my Tote Bag of Titles: just every time I think of a movie that I haven't seen in ages, I jot it down on a piece of paper and drop it in a tote bag. There are literally over 215 titles in there, and two of the first four I pulled out were Spike Jonz movies. Wild.

Rewatched WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE and I still think it's just a beautiful, heart-felt story about childhood and the struggle with feelings during times of change.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

From the Tote Bag of Titles: SPICE WORLD.

Honestly? And I say this having not cared much for the Spice Girls when they happened so I don't *think* I watched this movie through nostalgia goggles, but the movie was way funnier and more entertaining than I think a "band movie" has any right to be! It's obviously campy and goofy and for all ages, but some of the jokes are actually really good, and all the actors really commit to the bit.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

From the Tote Bag of Titles: ATTACK THE BLOCK!

Still holds up! Very fun movie. Kinda like Goonies meets Aliens, with John Boyega. A weird sort of "comfort movie" for me. Love Steven Price's score, too.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

ATTACK THE BLOCK!

I enjoyed it when I watched it a few years back. Solid movie.

Over 1 Year ago
S.O.H.

It's just a cool, fun little movie. Not the most amazing thing ever, but I love it. I do appreciate the creature design, and the fact that they are - almost always - practical effects!

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

This thread seems to be the only one active right now.

I am watching several short films on YouTu.be.
The Dust channel and the Omeleto channel.
They’re almost all under 40 minutes, but I’m right now watching the ones that are 15 minutes or shorter.
(First I watched the ones 5 minutes or shorter; then those 10 minutes or shorter. If I finish all the 15-or-fewer-minute ones, I’ll watch all the 20 minute or shorter ones.)
The Dust change nnel is specifically science fiction.
Omeleto lets me pick an SF sub channel and I am doing so.

They’re almost all great!
And there’s not much time lost on the not-so-great ones; usually the next one is pretty good!

Over 1 Year ago
chiarizio

@Jet Presto:
You recommended:
BIRDS OF PREY: OR THE FANTABULOUS EMANCIPATION OF ONE HARLEY QUINN

I found it available to me. I’m planning on watching it.

I want to watch the 2018 A Star Is Born, with Lady GaGa, Bradley Cooper, and Sam Elliott.
The trailer is for that; but the actual show is for the 1938 one!
And I don’t want to rewatch the Barbra Streisand Kris Kristofferson one either.

Over 1 Year ago
chiarizio

Honestly, when people talk about what shows they're watching these days, I can never participate. If it's not a movie or a video game, I'm watching a YouTube channel.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

Kill Bill volume 1 and 2. I had watch the first one ages ago, but this is the first time I've watched vol 2. They're so different movies; Kill Bill vol 1 is much more action-oriented with alot of gore, fighting, and deaths, whereas vol 2 is much more slow and centered on dialogue. They're both excellent movies in their own way: volume 1 is like eating candy and volume with its exposition and backstories is like eating rice and vegetables. The second one is more emotionally involving than the first. Also, the second one is clearly influenced by exploitation and Chinese martial arts movies. They're also reminiscent of some Japanese revenge movies that I've watched.

Over 1 Year ago
Post-Wall Olga

My Tote Bag of Titles is a literal mixed bag. Just re-watched AVATAR.

And man, what a disappointing movie. It looks so visually stunning, and the movie itself is not...bad... It's just so derivative of better movies without doing anything particularly unique or original itself, besides its use of technology. It's got a lot of individual components that are neat or interesting on their own, but worked in with other ones they fall apart. And yeah, it's so off-putting to have not only a "white savior" movie that didn't need to be that way (the simple solution to that criticism is have Zoe Saldana's character become the leader and ride that big bird to unite the clans, with Jake Sully in a support role), but there's also a weird kinda ableism undertone to it, too. It's so neat to have a big action/adventure movie with a central protagonist with a disability, and the whole time they just pinpoint he's able to do the most good when he's in a body that isn't "broken," and he gets rewarded by leaving his disabled body behind. Such mixed messaging throughout the film.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

I dont have the energy to commit to shows.

But I did push through the first four episodes of The Expanse Season 4. Great show.

I lost interest in Money heist but had the new season in the back ground (well my sister was watching it) things got crazy Ill give it that.

Over 1 Year ago
S.O.H.

From the Tote Bag of Titles: BATTERIES NOT INCLUDED.

A cute, fun little movie produced by Steven Spielberg, though he didn't direct it. Has a screenplay by Brad Bird. I admittedly have a soft spot for those family films that are cute and funny, but also have a lot not even subtle sadness to it. (Two of the main characters have cognitive disabilities - Alzheimer's and something from a long career in boxing.) It's kinda wild how much stuff is there that you're like, "Whoa. This is pretty dark!" while also going, "Aw...that's really cute." Great all ages film for families to watch together, though.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

Watched THE JERK. Boy, what a wild movie, in that there are a few scenes that are especially cringe-worthy and problematic and dated, but the funny stuff is still pretty dang funny! I forget sometimes just how great a comedic actor Steve Martin could be.

Also re-watched CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON, and I enjoyed it (Michelle Yeoh is a treasure), but it definitely feels longer than it is. It's weirdly paced. The wire-work is still good! I'm just admittedly less into that as I am the more traditional martial arts sequences.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

Watched another Bong Joon-ho movie (his first actually) Barking Dogs Never Bite. We decided we weren't in the mood for The Host and decided to watch this one instead since it's on Hulu. It was a good movie but DEFINITELY was misrated. On Hulu it said it had a G rating but they said shit at least twice, said fuck twice, there was blood, drinking, smoking cigarettes, and definitely disturbing things shown a few times. It wasn't a bad film at all though but I know cultural differences might cause people to dislike this movie (particularly to how they treated dogs). I'd say give it a watch though. Only have two more movies of his to go.

Over 1 Year ago
Fox Forever

Oooh, I didn't realize that was on Hulu! I've been planning to do a Bong Joon-ho marathon at some point. That's the only one I haven't seen. (Wild about the rating. That must just be an error on Hulu's part.

Which ones do you have left? I assume The Host is one fo them (honestly my favorite of his works), but what else?

I randomly pulled Apollo 13 from my Tote Bag of Titles, which was funny because almost immediately when they put the dates on when things occur, I realized that it was literally this week 50 years ago that that mission occurred! What a funny coincidence!

I'm having a problem in which almost every single movie in my tote bag is not actually available for streaming. It's been so wild to find out that with, like, two exceptions (Tomb Raider and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon), every single film I've pulled out of the bag over the past three weeks has not been available on Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Go, or included with Amazon Prime.

I also kinda hate the way renting movies on Prime works. You pay for it and then you have 30 days to start it, but once you do, you have 1 day to finish it. Otherwise, that's it! But like, why? When you rented movies from Blockbuster or wherever, you got it for two weeks and you could watch it however many times you want! When Netflix did DVDs in the mail, you could literally hold onto it however long you wanted. But Amazon only lets you basically watch it once. Or, multiple times in one day, I guess? It's so stupid.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

Or, multiple times in one day, I guess? It's so stupid.

theres only one movie that Ive had the urge to rewatch multiple times after initially watching it. And thats Pacific Rim.

I am watching The Host. Its good. Pretty amusing to be watching it in the middle of a pandemic. Its the third Bong Joon-ho movie Ive seen. I loved Snow Piercer and laughed my ass off when they played "World of Imagination" for the trailer of the spin off show. (A nod to the theory that the show/movie is a sequel to Willy Wonka)

I saw Okja when it launched on Netflix....I hated that film. I believe it was rated G or PG on netflix when it released. The Rape Scene was fucking traumatizing. It was also flagged as a comedy and family movie... That was not the case.

Ill be watching all of his films on Hulu and a rewatch of Snow Piercer before watching Parasite.

Hulu has turned out to be the best streaming device money can buy. I have it as an add-on for spotify premium.

I also have amazon prime where I am watching the new season of the expanse. I think I will be doing a rewatch of Bands of Brothers and the Pacific.

I do plan to try a free trial of Disney+ to watch the Baby Yoda show.

On a different note I have a hard drive filled with Movies, TV shows, and Anime. I am doing my best not to watch anything that is already on there as I plan to use it when Im back in Guatemala. D:

Over 1 Year ago
S.O.H.

@S.O.H.:
For decades now I’ve watched most movies twice, and usually if I watched a third time I found it unsatisfying the third time.
The first one I remember enjoying more than twice was Who Framed Roger Rabbit. I watched it eight times.

In the DVD age, however, if a movie comes with subtitles in more than one language, and/or dialog in more than one language, I am tending to watch them once per language.

If I feel like it I sometimes will watch with the dialog in one non-English language but the subtitles in a different non-English language.
Normally I don’t have the time for that. I’ll match the subtitles to the dialog, or I’ll use English for one of them and another language for the other.

With this COVID sitch, I can’t get DVDs. If it’s not on cable I have to watch it on a DVD I already owned.

Over 1 Year ago
chiarizio

Which ones do you have left? I assume The Host is one of them (honestly my favorite of his works), but what else?

The Host is one and "Memories of Murder" is the other. I watched Snowpiercer, Okja, and Mother before I knew who he was.

I haven't gotten too heavy into Korean films but I started watching them more and more. I think it all started with Oldboy like 7 years ago, I thought that movie was dang amazing.

I also watched Monos a few weeks ago on Hulu (pretty sure it's still there). I suggest giving that a look as well. Colombian movie but the U.S. had part in making it as well. The scenery is quite breathtaking at times.

Over 1 Year ago
Fox Forever

Oh man. Memoirs of a Murder is so good. It's kinda like Korean Zodiac (I liked Zodiac a lot, but I love Memoirs of a Murder.)

I saw Okja when it launched on Netflix....I hated that film. I believe it was rated G or PG on netflix when it released

If that's true Netflix had it rated that, it makes me wonder if they bother to watch the movies. Like, if you watch the first half an hour to an hour, I think you could probably make a case that movie is a "family adventure film." Because it's very much mimicking that style. But, Bong Joon-ho movies always shift and change throughout the film (except maybe Memoirs of a Murder, which is pretty much just one genre throughout).

I know Okja is sort of the black sheep even among fans of Bong Joon-ho, but I really liked it. Kinda the hardest to recommend to people unfamiliar with the director, though. Like, even Snowpiercer, I think, is easier to recommend.

If you go down a weird Korean film wormhole, I highly recommend The Good, The Bad, The Weird. Co-stars Kang-ho Song (a frequent collaborator with Bong Joon-ho, and yes, I realize that I don't really know Korean name conventions, so I probably just was inconsistent there). It's a really fun and funny Korean "western." Just a really good time.

I think I will be doing a rewatch of Bands of Brothers and the Pacific.

I actually did that last year. I wish I could put my finger on why The Pacific isn't quite as good as Band of Brothers. I think maybe because there are fewer, like, characters that get focus and because by and large it centers on just a few throughout the whole series, whereas Band of Brothers have a few central characters who we see throughout, but every episode kinda focuses on someone different. Or maybe just the European campaign feels a little more tangibly focused than the island hopping. I dunno. I liked The Pacific and thought it was good, but there's just something about Band of Brothers that's better.

Anyway, I watched THE NICE GUYS. I can't believe I forgot to actually see it! KISS KISS BANG BANG is one of my all-time favorites, and I like Shane Black a lot (even if I think the third act of Iron Man 3 is among the weakest parts of any Marvel movie - I do really like the first two acts!) It was so good!

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

I did enjoy watching The Nice Guys, saw it in the theater when it was released years ago. I feel like it will be a film forgotten by the U.S., unfortunately.

I also accidentally get it mixed up with The Other Guys so I admittedly had to look up which movie it was but I figured it was the correct one.

Over 1 Year ago
Fox Forever

I feel like I should start a running list of all the movies I want to watch and then don't because they're not on Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, Prime, or HBO Go. Tonight, I wanted to do Amelie (which you can't even *rent* on Prime). So then my back up selection was Edge of Tomorrow (which you can rent from Prime, or pay an extra $10 a month for the extension on Hulu).

But, I forgot I ripped it once a long time ago and had it on a hard drive. So I re-watched Edge of Tomorrow. My favorite movie with a whole bunch of titles. Based on the book "All You Need is Kill." Theatrically released as "Edge of Tomorrow." Released for home video by its tag line "Live Die Repeat." (Honestly, I still maintain Edge of Tomorrow is the only decent title of the bunch.)

Still pretty good! Hard to describe it in any other way than like, Groundhog Day meets Starship Troopers. Doesn't really do enough of its own thing, to be honest. But it blends them well! The three "big weaknesses," I think are 1.) I don't think it does a good job explaining how it all works, which wouldn't be a problem for me if they didn't spend a couple sequences trying to explain it. 2.) Not enough time with J Squad or whatever. Like, if I'm supposed to be invested in those folks, we should spend a little more time with them and a little less with Rita. I feel like they went a little too heavy on Rita for a sort of forced "romantic" component, to be honest. There's a lot of montage that's a little redundant, and could have been used the other crew members. And 3.) the ending. I get they want to show that they won, but I dunno. It still feels weird that at the end, they basically just retcon most of the movie. It's not that it doesn't matter. It's just that they very specifically wanted us to care about people getting killed at the end and they raised the stakes, and then immediately undid them.

I think a better way to do it would have been to have Rita and Cage kinda work with J Squad more during their mapping out segments. Let us actually see a few of those conversations that show he's getting to know his squad mates, so when that final time comes, we know that he has reached out. (Up until that point, he has pretty much only been seen running away from them *immediately* to go work with Rita, so when would he have time to get to know them? I know we are to assume he found the time, obviously, but would'a been nice to see some of it. At least could have been included in the montages.) And then have the final mission just be the result of all them working together, even if J Squad doesn't totally know why they need to know all the Tom Cruise-relives-the-day thing. Can still kill everyone to advance the mission and then retcon it at the end.

Anyway, it's still fun! Wish more stuff like that came out.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

Watched GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK. Saw it when it had come out. I don't remember liking it as much as I did this time! Not amazing or anything, but solid historical drama.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

Rewatched Jackie Chan's POLICE STORY, which has to have some of his wildest stunts, to be honest.

And I also rewatched APOLLO 11 which to my mind is the perfect non-fiction film and I could watch it every single day and be happy.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

Rewatched Jackie Chan's POLICE STORY, which has to have some of his wildest stunts, to be honest.

I've watched and own a lot of Jackie's Chinese movies. That one probably has some of the craziest stunts he's ever done but in Story 3 and 4 he does even more insane things but on an even larger scale. The fighting was also pretty good but it's not his best choreographed fighting movie imo. It's still one of his best ones though. The beginning scene all the way up until he stops the bus are super iconic.

I watched House of 1000 Corpses last night (albeit in Spanish) via PlutoTV (which imo sucks quite a bit). I've seen the other two but couldn't ever get a chance to see this one. It was alright but a lot less horror-y than the other two in the series.

Something I'm watching that's not a movie is I'm (re?)watching Community. I'd seen the first 3 seasons years ago when they came out and by the end of season 3 I was burned out of the shenanigans. I never watched further which some say was good because apparently 4 sucked hard but I wanted to actually finish the show. I'm halfway through 2 and yeah the silly stuff started. I found out that I start to dislike shows when they do a radical shift in their tone or what they establish. I think I felt like that's what Community does. It's still a good show though.

Also finished up to season 3 of Handmaid's Tale. Great show. Makes me seethe with anger though, haha. The people who run Gilead are such major hypocrites left and right. It's amazing that the world doesn't just shut them out but they supposedly have a super large military presence in the world. Honestly can't wait for season 4.

And lastly we finished watching Surviving R. Kelly part 2. We watched all of it in like 2 days which is impressive since at home we don't watch more than 1 hour of shows a day. I agree almost completely with the whole show except the part when they started getting on comedians for not addressing the realness of the R. Kelly situation in the comedian's set. That's NOT what comedy is about. it would be like if Bob Ross was painting a landscape and turned to the camera for 5 minutes to give an address about global warming. That's not what the program/show is about. I do respect what some did say about his art that you are still able to appreciate his art without having to throw it away due to his terrible actions.

Over 1 Year ago
Fox Forever

Yeah, Police Story is just a great series. Supercop is the last one, I think? (I think that's technically Police Story 4? Could be wrong) And it's one of my favorites.

I'm curious about your Community comments. Where exactly do you feel like the show departs from its usual "tone"? Is it just that it starts to get more surreal rather than be more "grounded," like it is for maybe the first five or six episodes? I get that the show shifts into more surreal and meta humor (which I still maintain is the best thing for it to do otherwise it just becomes a completely passable, forgettable sitcom with little to really praise about it), and that that isn't a thing everyone is gonna be into, but even then I don't know that the tone really shifts. It's still your classic "comedy, but with a moral at the end" format, even during its wildest, most unusual scenarios.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

Supercop is 3, First Strike is 4 but it's practically its own movie since Jackie Chan is a different character. There's also New Police Story and Police Story 2013. Only the first 3 are with the same character.

I'm ok with a show if they start off by not having it grounded. I just don't like it when they start off grounded and move surreal after a bit of time. Most of Season 1 except maybe the paintball episode is grounded. In Season 2 I'm only halfway through it right now (am literally on the xmas episode as we speak) and they did the KFC flight simulator thing, had REAL zombies on Halloween, and had a blanket fort going all through the school dorms 2 episodes prior. These episodes ARE funny but it's not like they are a dream sequence, they're supposed to really be in the actual world of the show. Meta humor is ok and I appreciate the links Abed makes, but I'm not a fan of going too off rails when it's like "ok realistically NEVER". I think when it got to the second paintball special the time before is when I started to feel burnt of the show. Not sure if that will happen this time because I tend to watch all of a show nowadays. Also imo a show not moving into surreal territory doesn't make it forgettable if the good writing is there. The episode before with Troy's birthday was completely grounded and a good point of growth.

Over 1 Year ago
Fox Forever

I saw Ben, the sequel to Willard. It's about a boy and his friendship with a rat called Ben. The ending was pretty heart-breaking, and I don't think it has much of a message, but the scenery was excellent, particularly the sewer scenes.

If you saw Willard, well Ben is the dark side of the rats and Socrates is the good side and in the sequel Ben continues his rampage, but the victims fight back this time. I enjoyed it, but not as much as I enjoyed the remake of Willard.

Over 1 Year ago
Post-Wall Olga

Hell and High Water on Netflix. Kind of a poor man’s No Country For Old Men but wasn’t bad.

Over 1 Year ago
MarvaIo

I get that. I love that Community gets away from being grounded for the reason I mentioned, that I think without it, it's just a generic sitcom that is funny enough but otherwise not very memorable. And I also like the way that it winds up kinda breaking away from television norms to wind up using television conventions at the same time. Like for as surreal as it sometimes gets, it almost never does anything that isn't otherwise "typical" of the sitcom format. And I appreciated that. Felt clever and engaging to me. (I also reeeeeeally love the Halloween episodes. I honestly don't know if I can think of any show that does a "holiday special" episode that actually has consequences for later in the season.)

But I do get that that's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. It's just wild to me that this show even existed on NBC. I don't think it ever could have if they didn't start more grounded (because I doubt NBC would have approved it if they started with the shenanigans they pull in the next season). Kinda makes me just not like the way things get picked up. Which is sort of another reason I love the show. It's like they sort of tricked the studio into approving and airing this show that was both conventional and subversive all at once.

I wonder if they'll ever make that movie...

For some reason, I didn't realize First Strike was a "Police Story" entry! Super Cop is still my favorite, I think. I think I did know there was New Police Story, but I haven't seen it yet. Think I need to watch a bunch more Jackie Chan movies now.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

I don't think it ever could have if they didn't start more grounded (because I doubt NBC would have approved it if they started with the shenanigans they pull in the next season).

There's a show I watched a few years ago (I believe every episode is on YouTube albeit in kinda grainy 90s look) called "Get a Life" which features Chris Elliott. It's a show that features the main character progressively get more demented and twisted as time goes on and he starts doing more and more surreal things. What's funny is with the pilot the creators admitted to making it look like an extremely grounded character then they slowly started making him more crazy and insane as time went along. It only lasted two seasons but admittedly it's hilarious that they pulled a fast one on the channel (Fox) like that. It's kinda so obscure that it doesn't exist on any streaming site and nowhere to rent. The DVD's are all out of print as well. That I could get on completely.

Think I need to watch a bunch more Jackie Chan movies now.

I could recommend you some real good ones if you'd like. Depends on if you like more of the fist fighting action or the action of Supercop that doesn't really have lots of hand to hand combat but a lot of stunts. And of course (imo) the best way to watch is to listen in Cantonese and read the subtitles. I find that when listening to the English it's corny but also they ruin sounds like fist hittings.

Over 1 Year ago
Fox Forever

I have a bunch of Jackie Chan DVDs and blu-rays. Unfortunately, it's really hard to find the original copies in Cantonese. Only a few I have feature that, but my preference is always to watch live action flicks subtitled. The weird thing about Police Story is that it was from that time where Jackie Chan didn't dub his own dialogue. If I'm going to watch something dubbed, at least give me the version where he dubs himself! Still weird, but it doesn't feel super cheesy! (I don't have dubbing for things that I think kids or young folks will watch, though, and that includes some Jackie Chan movies.)

I have:

Project A / Project A-2
Operation Condor / Operation Condor 2
Police Story / Police Story 2
Meals on Wheels
Drunken Master
Legend of Drunken Master (my favorite)
Super Cop
First Strike
Mr. Nice Guy
Rumble in the Bronx
The Protector
Crime Story
Twin Dragons

There others you would recommend?

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

Just rewatched THE HOST, Bong Joon-ho's brilliant monster flick from 2006. Without a doubt it's my favorite of his films.

I somehow did totally forget the entire reason it's called "The Host" is that there is a plot thread in which government officials worry that the creature is the host of a deadly new virus and they are constantly trying to quarantine people who had been in contact with it. So good.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

Wow you have quite a lot of the good ones! Some I don't have yet on DVD but have still seen! Notably Operation Condor/Armour of God (they reversed the titles in the U.S. and the first movie is actually the sequel). The only one on that list I've not seen is Mr. Nice Guy.

Imo the only ones you're really missing are:

Dragons Forever: imo the best of the three dragons movies, the others being Project A and Wheels on Meals. It's probably got the best fighting action of any of his movies but leans weaker on the story. There's one confusing part where they cut a part of the movie that really needs explanation (you can look it up on wiki afterwards to get it). He even fights the same white guy that he fought in Wheels on Meals at the end! If you only want to see one of these movies on the list make SURE that it's this one! It's my favorite Jackie Chan movie (With Drunken Master II being a close second).

Dragon Lord: Very early on, Jackie was maybe 27? It's kinda funny hearing the backstory that one of the shots in the movie (which wasn't even a fighting shot) took nearly 3000 shots for them to get just right. After this entry on my list the rest fall below most of the ones you've seen but are still enjoyable.

Who am I?: Fun stunts in this one. Heard there's a Who Am I 2015 movie but haven't seen yet.

CZ12: Done when he was MUCH older in 2012. Is actually the sequel to Armour of God/Operation Condor movies. Fun stunts but weaker story compared to the first two.

Gorgeous: Not too much to say about this one but it's still fun. Quite light on the action bits.

Winners and Sinners: Admittedly you can just search up the Jackie Chan stunts of this one
on Youtube considering he's in the movie for maybe 15 mins max. He still does hilarious stunts with roller skates. Winners and Sinners starts off an entire series called the Lucky Stars series which are mostly comedy and slapstick that go on for 6 or 7 other movies with most of the same cast (Sammo Hung/the pudgy dude from Project A and Wheels on Meals).

Over 1 Year ago
Fox Forever

Also all this talk of fist fighting action movies made me want to get back into it. I watched The Night Comes For Us (which I've always heard was good) and holy crap it was really frickin fun. There's a difference between Jackie's type of fighting and this in that people get blown apart or sliced open ridiculously. If you've ever seen The Raid or The Raid 2 it falls into this area (in fact the 2 main stars of the first Raid are in this one). It's on Netflix.

I got a recommendation to watch Buffalo Boys (also on Netflix) and I will give that a watch soon. If you have any fighting movies that are really impressive I will definitely watch them. I can't get enough of the choreography.

Over 1 Year ago
Fox Forever

Oh right. I also have Who Am I?

There's a stretch of them that I always forget which one is which because they're sorta similar and released pretty close to each other. Rumble in the Bronx and Mr. Nice Guy are two that I confuse.

I enjoy the early Jackie Chan flicks, especially the ones directed by Sammo Hung. (Oh, I realized I listed one as "Meals on Wheels" instead of "Wheels on Meals," which is its actual title.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

Rewatched STUBER. A fun action comedy. I appreciate that they try to say something positive about manhood, and how there's no real one "right way" to be a man, but there sure are a lot of wrong ways. It's cool to see one of these typical buddy action movies in which all the male characters are sort of stunted by trying to adhere to some concept they think is the "ideal man," but those ideas are all wrong and harmful themselves. Like, Dave Bautista is the generic action hero dude. Never cries. Never hugs. Singular focus on work. Keeps people at a distance to avoid dealing with his feelings. And Kumail Nanjiani is sort of a caricature of the "effeminate man." Overly emotional, yet ignorant of the (totally normal) negative human emotions like anger and frustration. Unafraid to ask for help or seem weak, but too afraid to be honest. Singular focus on the woman he has feelings for and doing everything for her and then getting frustrated at her. And then his boss at the sporting good store who only knows how to connect with other men by having this adversarial relationship where he makes fun of Kumail nonstop and makes him feel like shit because "dudes just razz each other," but really it's just that he can't find healthy ways to communicate with Kumail or be open about how close he feels with him.

It...kinda thematically gets muddled when Bautista finally does grow enough to ask for help and then things just fall off the rails even further, but that has to do more with the conspiratorial nature of the plot. Probably could have put a little more thought into that part, though.

But Kumail needs to learn to be honest with other people and that anger and frustration isn't a reason to hide or shut down, while Bautista has to learn to be more open and less distance and to also not hide from his feelings. I dunno. Just thought it was rad to see one of these movies try to say something about manhood and masculinity that promotes healthy concepts of it in the end.

Plus I just think Bautista and Kumail play off each other really well. Fun duo!

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

I just saw Parasite. I will need some time to process what I just watched but fox said it was a story he had never seen before:

This thing deserves all the awards it received. I grew up with Korean Dramas and Korean/Thai/ Japanese Horror so I am well aware of how amazing asian media can be. (I guess a nod to anime is needed) I am happy that a movie finally broke through the international barrier and got a lot of the masses interested in what these countries have to offer.

Over 1 Year ago
S.O.H.

Yeah. I really think Bong Joon-ho is one of the best directors in the world and has been for like, two decades now. And Kang-ho Song is one of the best actors. I definitely understand that reading along with subtitles takes some training and if you aren't used to it or are maybe just a slow reader, it feels overwhelming. (I always watch foreign language films subbed, but I'm not unsympathetic to those who can't. It did take me a little while to really kinda get the hang of where to look.) But man, it was nice to see it get acclaim in the States. There's a lot of rad cinema from Korea especially, but yeah, Asia in general. We do tend to either ignore cinema outside of the US/Britain/western Europe. There's a lot of rad shit being made all around the world. And not every Asian movie is a genre flick either. (One of my favorites last decade was The Departures from Japan, a drama about an cello player who gets fired and has to take a job making up bodies for their final display before burial.)

It's admittedly kind of wild seeing all these millionaires talk about how great Parasite is. Elon Musk, I think, even tweeted that it was the best movie of the year. And it' s like...did....did you watch the movie? Did you "get" the movie?

I love the way his films almost always take a turn. It made it hard to recommend when people came into the cinema to ask if I thought it was good and if they'd like it (which is always a funny question; like, I don't know you! I don't know what you like! I can tell you that *I* liked it, but I have no idea if you'll like it!) 'Cause it's one thing...until it's not. And then it's an entirely different thing.

It's another one of those films where I notice something every time. I definitely didn't notice this until my second or third viewing, but whenever you see the Park family coming in, you see them ascending the stairs. Yet the Kim family is always shown descending. And when they get out of the house during the storm, just the dizzying quality of that long downward staircase...oof. So good.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

catch me if you can

Admittedly haven't seen that movie.

I enjoy the early Jackie Chan flicks, especially the ones directed by Sammo Hung. (Oh, I realized I listed one as "Meals on Wheels" instead of "Wheels on Meals," which is its actual title.

Yeah Sammo makes some pretty good ones, he's also surprisingly agile as well. You wouldn't think it.

Also like I said you've seen most of Jackie's films that I've seen so I feel like there's not too much more I can recommend. I'd love to watch his newer films but I just really haven't seen them.

I watched Buffalo Boys. A nice action-y Indonesian movie and I love the time period. Quite a bit of action but for me not a lot of fist fighting. I appreciate the choreography in those kinds of things but it was still enjoyable.

Over 1 Year ago
Fox Forever

Have been on a foreign films binge. We watched "The Platform" (Spanish film; on Netflix) last night. We heard about this movie because others in our family (Spanish speakers on wife's side) watched it but said that they didn't "get it" about a month or so back. After watching it I think that we got it but it took a little bit of working out to figure out the film. I won't say it here because I don't want to spoil anything.

It's kind of like The Cube but a bit different. One of those films again where the main character is put in this situation to figure things out including the "why" of it all.

Over 1 Year ago
Fox Forever

Have been on a foreign films binge

I recommend the following:

Rec 1 and Rec 2 (Best Spanish Horror films)

The Raid Redemption 1 and 2 (Best Indonesian Action Films)

The Enemy Within 1 and 2 (Best Brazillian Thriller Films)

Over 1 Year ago
S.O.H.

The Raid Redemption 1 and 2 (Best Indonesian Action Films)

Yep I own both of those movies. Like the second one and love the first one! I will give the others a view if I'm able to!

Over 1 Year ago
Fox Forever

Just re-watched HOT FUZZ. So so good. I'm a sucker for all the set-up and pay off of an Edgar Wright film.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

I watched SPEED RACER. And man, what a wild experience. I loooove the colors, and I didn't hate it at all, but it was just whiplash. In some respects, it was sort of like Ang Lee's HULK.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

I watched SPEED RACER. And man, what a wild experience. I loooove the colors, and I didn't hate it at all, but it was just whiplash.

Speed Racer was one of the films I saw in theaters where I heavily disagreed with critics. I think a lot of them disliked the film but I enjoyed the look of the movie itself and the silliness of everything. I still recall the insanely cheesy like John Goodman uttered: "More like a non-ja". I haven't seen it in years but imo it was one of the most underrated films I've seen.

In some respects, it was sort of like Ang Lee's HULK.

I saw this one probably in 2005 or so when I was 15, before the MCU started to be a thing. I found it INSANELY boring at the time. I could possibly give it another look but in what ways was Speed Racer like it?

Over 1 Year ago
Fox Forever

Oh man. "More like non-ja. It's embarrassing what passes for a ninja these days." I cracked UP with the way he delivered that line! And it's a good line to begin with.

It's not like Hulk in most respects, but I mean more in terms of visually. If you recall, the thing Ang Lee did to try to make the movie "feel" more like a comic book was he had a lot of scene transitions happen via "panels." He also often had panels depicting multiple important pieces of visual information on the screen at once. This was an attempt to bring an element of comics to the big screen (that largely don't need to be adapted because it's not really narrative).

Speed Racer kinda does something similar, only instead of panels, they just kinda overlay multiple shots at once and rush through transitions. It definitely makes exposition dumps less boring, but the flip side is it can sometimes be dizzying. There's already a lot of sensory overload with the film. The way that it did that kinda felt like a way to bring more physical elements of manga or anime to a live action movie adaptation. I think it mostly works better than what Lee did, but it doesn't necessarily always work.

I do think the Wachowski siblings did a good job with the cheese. Can't have a Speed Racer without it!

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

You got me so hyped for the movie that I convinced my wife to have a movie night friday where we eat nachos and get high and watch Speed Racer. I've only been highball few times in my life and I last smoked 3 years ago. Due to a shift in my career I dont need to worry about drug testing so now I can do so. Wife was running out of weed anyway.

Also Jet I was wondering since you work in a theater what do you think of the Universal and AMC/Regal cinema debacle regarding Trolls: World Tour.

Over 1 Year ago
Fox Forever

I've only been high once, and I cannot imagine doing that for Speed Racer! But I imagine it would be interesting.

Yeah, the thing about Regal/AMC and Universal is sort of wild, but I don't think it really matters. I used to worry that if home release for theatrical films during this time became the norm and most films released that way, it could kill a lot of theaters. Right now there are a number of businesses that are sort of interconnected. So you have the movie studio that makes the films. You have the companies that distribute the films. And then the theaters that exhibit the films. Theaters are obviously the lowest on that totem pole, but they are a part of the cinematic economic eco-system. Being able to release widely and regularly straight to streaming essentially kicks them off. And if it does super well, it could convince movie studios and distributors that there is no need to include exhibitors (they already take an exorbitant cut of opening week grosses).

And while Trolls 2 (which the McElroys were in!) did really well with that, it's also a kids movie released when schools are shut down and parents have to homeschool. I've not yet seen too much to suggest that the straight-to-streaming is poised to really convince studios/distributors of the superfluous nature of theaters, nor the larger public that they don't really want to go out and have an experience at the cinema either. Most movies have had their releases delayed. I think for major releases, they kinda want the headlines of opening box office numbers. There's a reason Disney won't release Mulan or Black Widow to Disney+. Reporting "clicks" is very different than reporting how many butts actually came out to take seats, and you can't say what a movie grossed and if it broke April or May records if they're watching it from a subscription service.

That said, I can't blame Universal, or any studio, for releasing to streaming right now. Regal/AMC's response has been wild, but it doesn't really matter for two reasons. First and foremost, Universal isn't Disney. Not showing Universal flicks limits some of their options. In 2019, for example, Universal put out 19 films that included things like the Oscar-seeking 1917, the summer blockbuster Hobbs & Shaw, and the next installment in family films franchises How to Train Your Dragon & Secret Life of Pets. That's a fair loss, but with Disney increasingly buying up the industry, as long as they have access to them, they can book something that will do relatively well.

But also, Regal/AMC has been on the verge of shutting down anyway. They are one of the chains that are at risk right now of not being able to re-open on the other side of the pandemic. So especially right now, it feels a bit like they're trying to play some weird mind-game with Universal and I think they're overplaying their hand a bit.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

I rewatched MOULIN ROUGE. And man, how did this thing ever become popular? It's exhausting, a little problematic, and wildly edited. It's kind of also Ready Player One but for music.

I loved Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman, though!

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

Rewatched MOON. Man, it's so good. Love me some Sam Rockwell, never mind twice as much Sam Rockwell!

Also pulled READY PLAYER ONE from the Tote Bag of Titles. Oh my god what boring, shallow, exhausting endeavor.

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

Over 1 Year ago
Jace Corso

I watched the Harry Potter movies 3-6 over the last couple of days. I will always be a purist when it comes to the books but the movies are serviceable. They do exclude parts that I geniuenly wanted to see: Quidditch World Cup, Harry finding out what a brute his dad could be, Dumbledores Funeral to name a few. But overall I enjoyed the films.

In my mind the actors were perfectly casted and I much prefer this Dumbledore to the one they used in movies 1 and 2. (This one is far more sassy in movie 6. It is hilarious)

So far the Half Blood Prince is my favorite movie of the bunch. Granted I didnt see the need for the Bellatrix/Weasley house scene I would have preferred Dumbledores Funeral or the actual show down between the Order of The Phoenix/ The DA VS the Death Eaters who entered Hogwarts (actually that would have been a billion times better what the fuck)

Ill be watching Part 1 and 2 sometime this/next week.

Also Bellatrix is extremely attractive. D:

Over 1 Year ago
S.O.H.

A Better Life. It made me sad.

Over 1 Year ago
Post-Wall Olga

I watched "La Llorona" and "Summer of '84"

I enjoyed both of them. La Llorona by Jayro Bustamante (Note it has nothing to do with the Awful U.S. movies that came out in 2018/ 2019) is a really well done film. A Guatemalan General convicted of war crimes and mass genocide is found guilty of his crimes but is let go because of a technicality in the court proceedings. The general in question slowly starts to lose his mind.

An extremely well done film that accurately portrays how polarizing the Genocide in Guatemala is for the Guatemalan people. Many believe that it didnt happen. That indigenous civilians were not killed but rather those who were targeted by the Army were communist guerrilla fighters. Many also refuse to talk about the genocide and would rather let the past die. And then there are those who are actively fighting for justice even to this day. Fascinating stuff. (More so for me as I got a taste of every side of the spectrum in my short 6 months there. From Army sympathizers, to potential unwilling army draftees/ conscripts who were liberated from army bases because they were not old enough to serve)

Summer of '84 caught my eye a few months ago and I decided to give it a watch. It is slow and predictable but I really enjoyed it. Highly recommend seeing it all the way through because the last 20 minutes are fucking worth it.

11 Months ago
S.O.H.

Phoenix, Oregon (2019) Such an excellent movie about how tedious the daily grind can be. It's also about dying dreams, then recovering from them and seeing your dreams come alive.

I liked how the two main characters balance each other out; the main one is sad, but his best friend who he opens up the bowling alley with is more passionate about his craft and more optimistic. Definitely worth watching.

11 Months ago
Post-Wall Olga

Finished Star Wars, now we're moving on to X-Men. We watched First Class last weekend and I loved it. I'm also an X-Men fan. lolz.

8 Months ago
Castrael

(I can't login or post with my registered account..I tried to post in some threads earlier today, but the same problem from before persists - says my password is invalid.)

Anyways, I saw The New York Ripper. A decent slasher. It's about a serial killer that speaks like a duck killing whores in New York City. If I had seen it as a kid, I, like so many of them, would've hated it, but only because I would've been young and dumb. As an adult, I dug it. It's a damn fine movie. It's entertaining horror movie filled with grotesque kills and violent scenes that are sure to freak sensitive viewers out and I loved every minute of it. If you like horror or giallo, then you're bound to love this.

7 Months ago
Post-WallOlga

FInally amde my way though most of the Die Hard movies and Tokyo Godfathers.

7 Months ago
tnu

Welp, once again it's clear, whether it's video games, movies or television, Jet just doesn't like anything.

7 Months ago
Agis

I rewatched MOULIN ROUGE. And man, how did this thing ever become popular? It's exhausting, a little problematic, and wildly edited. It's kind of also Ready Player One but for music.

I was serenaded with Come What May :)

I've never watched the movie, but I was gushing when the song was sung to me.

7 Months ago
Post-Wall Olga

Didn’t want to make a new thread so I’ll just post it here. I am watching Rick and Morty for the first time. I always avoided it because the fan base comes off as/ are literal man children. My brother put it on randomly and I found it humorous. It’s like Phineas and Ferb but for adults. (Well phineas and ferb is also good for adults)

I do like how the rest of the family is in on the antics. Normally shows like this go to great lengths to ensure the family doesn’t know/ isn’t affected by the weird shenanigans that happens.

7 Months ago
S.O.H.

Semi-permanent Lockdown

Accounts are required to post for the forseeable future. Contact me through discord for account issues or registration: Riven#7868