Roleplaying Video Games Entertainment & Media Politics & Religion General
Worldbuilding Creative Forum The Sports Center Science, Math, & Technology The Nostalgia Forum
GTX0 is community-run. Do you have an issue or suggestion? add_comment Add one

Science, Math, & Technology

Con-Cartography: Sea-Levels

Posted Over 13 Years ago by eldin raigmore

[unparsed]Con-Cartography

I have some questions about sea-levels.

(1) Can anyone map what Earth's current landmasses and bodies of
water would look like if sea levels
(a) rose 1 metre?
(b) fell 1 metre?

(2) Can anyone map what Earth's current landmasses and bodies of
(a) rose 10 metres?
(b) fell 10 metres?

(3) Can anyone map what Earth's current landmasses and bodies of
(a) rose 100 metres?
(b) fell 100 metres?

(4) Can anyone map what Earth's current landmasses and bodies of
(a) rose 10 centimetres?
(b) fell 10 centimetres?

(5) Can anyone map what Earth's current landmasses and bodies of
(a) rose 1 kilometre?
(b) fell 1 kilometre?

There are 28 Replies

[unparsed]Not sure exactly how much 10 centimeters would really do. Maybe take out the Netherlands and Venice.

I'm not sure, but you might be able to put in an elevation image of the Earth into Fractal Terrains or some other map generator thing and play with water levels. I know that Terragen had a feature like that, but you had to buy the elevation images -- and they were pretty pricey IIRC. And of course Terragen isn't for whole planets, anyway.

Over 13 Years ago
Fonori

[unparsed][quote:6d49ce2427="Fonori"]Not sure exactly how much 10 centimeters would really do. Maybe take out the Netherlands and Venice.[/quote:6d49ce2427]I intended the 10cm and 1km to be extremes of "not much change" and "a whole lot more change than is likely to happen".

[quote:6d49ce2427="Fonori"]I'm not sure, but you might be able to put in an elevation image of the Earth into Fractal Terrains or some other map generator thing and play with water levels. I know that Terragen had a feature like that, but you had to buy the elevation images -- and they were pretty pricey IIRC. And of course Terragen isn't for whole planets, anyway.[/quote:6d49ce2427]Something like that occurred to me; though I didn't know specifics. Has anyone already done this? Does anyone know of anyone who's posted the results on-line?

Over 13 Years ago
eldin raigmore

[unparsed]BTW Siphonia shows the sea-levels dropped by 4 km. The idea, I take it, was to remove enough ocean to reverse the current ratio of land-area to sea-areal.

Over 13 Years ago
chiarizio

[unparsed]Al Gore's people have. They take a couple maps with sea levels rising to show a couple possibilities to each coastal city to demonstrate to them how much chaos they're in for.

Vancouver didn't change all that much, being very mountainous... I think mostly the beaches were lost, and small parts of the city and Richmond were flooded. I was underwhelmed.

Over 13 Years ago
Blake

[unparsed]Jefferson Wilson found the following two resources:
global warming "sea level" map
glaciation "sea level" map

Anthony Miles found the following two resources:

flood
Sebastien Merkel

Over 13 Years ago
chiarizio

[unparsed]There's also the possibility of the discovery of a kind of "cold fusion" catalyst (though such a molecular structure could probably exist, the discovery of it is generally considered improbable) to turn a large part of the ocean into helium and kick it out of the atmosphere.

One way to reduce the amount of water aside from a new ice-age.

Over 13 Years ago
Blake

[unparsed]rose 1 metre?
[img:e01c00d6e7]http://marcusgm.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/up1.jpg[/img:e01c00d6e7]
fell 1 metre?
[img:e01c00d6e7]http://marcusgm.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/down1.jpg[/img:e01c00d6e7]

rose 10 metres?
[img:e01c00d6e7]http://marcusgm.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/up10.jpg[/img:e01c00d6e7]
fell 10 metres?
[img:e01c00d6e7]http://marcusgm.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/down10.jpg[/img:e01c00d6e7]

rose 100 metres?
[img:e01c00d6e7]http://marcusgm.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/up100.jpg[/img:e01c00d6e7]
fell 100 metres?
[img:e01c00d6e7]http://marcusgm.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/down100.jpg[/img:e01c00d6e7]

rose 10 centimetres?
fell 10 centimetres?
-Can't do these; my resolution is 1 m.

rose 1 kilometre?
[img:e01c00d6e7]http://marcusgm.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/up1000.jpg[/img:e01c00d6e7]
fell 1 kilometre?
[img:e01c00d6e7]http://marcusgm.wikispaces.com/space/showimage/down1000.jpg[/img:e01c00d6e7]

-Rob

Over 13 Years ago
HandsomeRob

[unparsed]Wow, if sea level rises crazy high, Greenland's the place to be :P

Over 13 Years ago
Fonori

Over 13 Years ago
eldin raigmore

[unparsed][quote:1a901f5dab="Fonori"]Wow, if sea level rises crazy high, Greenland's the place to be :P[/quote:1a901f5dab]

There or Tibet.

Over 13 Years ago
bloodb4roses

[unparsed]Or the Rockies.

Over 13 Years ago
Mr. Saturday

[unparsed]Or the Andes.

Question: What about the land-blocked seas in the lowered-by-1km model? Wouldn't they dry up?

Over 13 Years ago
Cerne

[unparsed]maybe, but it'd take some time. Runnoff from the mountains could very well keep it full though, after all the Great Lakes are still around.

Over 13 Years ago
wheelerpm

[unparsed][quote:802fd5d24c="wheelerpm"]maybe, but it'd take some time. Runnoff from the mountains could very well keep it full though, after all the Great Lakes are still around.[/quote:802fd5d24c]

What about the Mediterranean basin? --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vanished_Sea

[quote:802fd5d24c]Before this time in the future, the tip of Africa has collided with the southern tip of Spain, thus enclosing the Mediterranean inland. It has since dried up to become an enormous salt desert with a few lakes of ultra-saline water, as it was during the Messinian salinity crisis. The holiday islands that used to be in the sea are now mountains scattered throughout the desert.[/quote:802fd5d24c]

Could this happen? The Mediterranean still present on the diagram...

Over 13 Years ago
Cerne

[unparsed]Is it wrong to want global warming to melt the glaciers? Because I am so tired of our current coastlines.

Over 13 Years ago
Mr. Saturday

[unparsed]I like seeing my home state turn into a shallow sea.

Over 13 Years ago
Genogeh

[unparsed][quote:6efa671c78="Mr. Saturday"]Is it wrong to want global warming to melt the glaciers? Because I am so tired of our current coastlines.[/quote:6efa671c78]We'd get different coastlines if the sea-levels dropped, as well.
If the sea-levels dropped by about 40 metres or more, the peak of the Bering land-bridge between North America and Asia would re-surface.
(During the last Ice Age the sea was actually about 100 metres shallower than it is now.)
The Arctic sea would no longer connect to the North Pacific.

I could not find out what it would take to make a land bridge between Asia and Australia.
Does anyone know?

[b:6efa671c78][EDIT]:[/b:6efa671c78] [size=9:6efa671c78][color=blue:6efa671c78][i:6efa671c78]Changed "km" to "metres".[/i:6efa671c78][/color:6efa671c78][/size:6efa671c78] [b:6efa671c78][/EDIT][/b:6efa671c78]

Over 13 Years ago
eldin raigmore

[unparsed][quote:8b2ef1add2="eldin raigmore"]I could not find out what it would take to make a land bridge between Asia and Australia. Does anyone know?[/quote:8b2ef1add2]

Not sure of the exact depth, but your question relates to the Wallace Line between Bali and Lombok Islands.
-Rob

Over 13 Years ago
HandsomeRob

[unparsed]I am not sure.

Southeast Asia and Australasia are seperate continents so, if the sea levels were to fall at some later time, the Australasian landmass may move away from where it sits right now before any land bridge can form. But I guess it could happen if the drop in the sea level were to occur more rapidly.

Over 13 Years ago
Cerne

[unparsed]Not as many islands if it drops. I like islands.

Over 13 Years ago
Mr. Saturday

[unparsed][quote:d8eff251f5="Cerne"]I am not sure.

Southeast Asia and Australasia are seperate continents so, if the sea levels were to fall at some later time, the Australasian landmass may move away from where it sits right now before any land bridge can form. But I guess it could happen if the drop in the sea level were to occur more rapidly.[/quote:d8eff251f5]
Thanks.
As near as I can tell a drop of 1200 metres wouldn't be enough, but a drop of 1500 metres would. I can't be sure; the maps I have that cover both sides of the line cover the entire world, and so they aren't detailed enough.

A drop of 600 metres wouldn't connect North America to Europe, but a drop of 900 metres would. Or so it appears to me. That would make the Arctic Ocean completely isolated from both the Atlantic and the Pacific.

It looks like the joining of Australia to Antarctica would occur between a 3700 and a 3800 metre drop. But between 3600 and 3700 metres' drop, already new land would connect Antarctica to India.

South America would connect to Antarctica somewhere between a 3300 metre drop and a 3400 metre drop.

So here's the order it would go in:
-40 to -50 metres: Asia and North America connect.
-600 to -900 metres; Europe and North America connect.
-1200 to -1500 metres; Asia and Australia connect.
-3300 to -3400 metres; Antarctica and South America connect.
-3600 to -3700 metres; a new, long land bridge connects Antarctica to India.
-3700 to -3800 metres; Antarctica and Australia connect.

[quote:d8eff251f5="Mr. Saturday"]Not as many islands if it drops. I like islands.[/quote:d8eff251f5]You'd be happiest with a rise of between 100 and 500 metres, then.
I don't think prehistory includes a time when the sea level was much over 400 metres higher than now.
I don't think any global-warming-worried scientists seriously expect a sea-level rise as high as 250 metres.
Apparently at its lowest the sea-level was about 120 metres lower than now.

Over 13 Years ago
eldin raigmore

[unparsed]100 meters is fine.

Over 13 Years ago
Mr. Saturday

[unparsed]What are meters? Are those like yards?

Over 13 Years ago
Genogeh

[unparsed][quote:5fec7dd2bc="Genogeh"]What are meters? Are those like yards?[/quote:5fec7dd2bc]Well, they're related. You go out in your yard to see your meters (water and electricity and gas) on the side of your house.

:wink:

Actually: The metric system is a more-systematic set of measures than national, traditional systems; and it is international, so it has been adopted by scientists, and many internationalists campaign for their countries to adopt it as well.

A meter is about 39 inches; an inch is about 2.54 centimeters. A kilometer is about 5/8 of a mile.
So, yes, a meter is awfully close to a yard.

[quote:5fec7dd2bc="Cerne"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vanished_Sea[/quote:5fec7dd2bc]Interesting!
[quote:5fec7dd2bc]Messinian salinity crisis[/quote:5fec7dd2bc]Thatís interesting.
[quote:5fec7dd2bc]salt desert[/quote:5fec7dd2bc]Couldnít find that article.

Over 13 Years ago
chiarizio

[unparsed][quote:9bf0d90edb="chiarizio"][quote:9bf0d90edb="Cerne"]salt desert[/quote:9bf0d90edb]Couldnít find that article.[/quote:9bf0d90edb]

Heh. Yeah...Wikipedia doesn't have an article for that topic yet. I only included the link because it was in the paragraph that I was quoting.
Sorry 'bout that :toothy7:

Over 13 Years ago
Cerne

[unparsed][quote:13bf28135e="eldin raigmore"](During the last Ice Age the sea was actually about 100 km shallower than it is now.)[/quote:13bf28135e]:!:I hope you mean 100m, not 100km. I mean, 100km would put the bottom of the Marinas Trench above sea-level.

Over 13 Years ago
simon.clarkstone

[unparsed][quote:95a477bcc9="simon.clarkstone"][quote:95a477bcc9="eldin raigmore"](During the last Ice Age the sea was actually about 100 km shallower than it is now.)[/quote:95a477bcc9]:!:I hope you mean 100m, not 100km. I mean, 100km would put the bottom of the Marinas Trench above sea-level.[/quote:95a477bcc9]You are quite right. I have fixed it.
That was not the only place I wrote km where I meant metres; there was one other such mistake in that same post.
Thanks.

Over 13 Years ago
eldin raigmore

Bump

11 Months ago
chiarizio

Reply to: Con-Cartography: Sea-Levels

Username
Password