User blocking / thread blocking feature Added Spirituality/Philosophy and Sexuality forums Surveys post type IMPORTANT: How the community feedback model works
Roleplaying Video Games Entertainment & Media Politics & World
General Spirituality & Philosophy Worldbuilding Creative Forum
The Sports Center Science, Math, & Technology The Nostalgia Forum Sexuality
Community feedback needed: Should GTX0 be geared towards kids or adults? add_comment New add_comment New request

Entertainment & Media

books read 2019

Posted Over 2 Years ago by S.O.H.

Ficition:

Enders Game
Cyber Storm
11-22-63

Non Fiction:
I, Rigoberta Menchu: An Indian Woman in Guatemala
Bitter Fruit: The Story of the American Coup in Guatemala, Revised and Expanded (Series on Latin American Studies)

Currently Reading: Handmaids Tale

Whats Next: American Gods, Mr. President (El Presidente)

There are 11 Replies

I am about 20% (neat kindle feature) done with American Gods. I forgot how much I enjoyed this book. While I dont have a favorite book per-say, It is in my top 3-5.

Over 1 Year ago
S.O.H.

Continuing on with American Gods I will have it finished before the month is over. {8D}

Over 1 Year ago
S.O.H.

Working at a gas station, just restocking beers and sodas and sweeping floors, I have a lot of time to listen to audiobooks.

Completed this year:

-The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde (part audiobook, part print)
-Moby Dick, Herman Melville
-1984, George Orwell
-The Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger
-I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, Harlan Ellison
-A Short History of U.S. Interventions in Latin American and the Caribbean, Alan McPherson (ebook)
-Chris & Nancy: The True Story of the Benoit Murder-Suicide & Pro Wrestling's Cocktail of Death (print book)
-The Way of the Ascetics, Tito Colliander
In Progress:

-The Time Machine, H.G. Wells
-Things Fall Apart, Chinua Achebe
-The Garden, St. Ignatius Brianchaninov

I've wanted to read Bitter Fruit for years! How was it?

Over 1 Year ago
Brocken Jr.

I've wanted to read Bitter Fruit for years! How was it?

Really good read. Highly recommend.

Over 1 Year ago
S.O.H.

I tried reading The Vegetarian, but I think I need alcohol to get me through it. I'm reading After Dark by Haruki Murakami, but I just started and it's great so far. Other than that, I don't have much to comment on.

Over 1 Year ago
Post-Wall Olga

Pretty much just read historical biographies on John Tyler, William Henry Harrison, Martin Van Buren, and Andrew Jackson. Currently reading about James Polk.

Did work in a work of fiction called The Raw Shark Texts. Kinda love it. It's this pretty meta-mystery novel that turns into the film Jaws, but with a "conceptual shark." Hard to explain, but I enjoyed it a lot. Dialogue is iffy, but otherwise solid.

Currently reading:

One Long Night: A Global History of Concentration Camps

and

The Impeachers (about the impeachment of Andrew Johnson)

Over 1 Year ago
Jet Presto

Wrapped up book 1 and 2 of the second formic war. Finished Carrie. It was okay.

Over 1 Year ago
S.o.h.

Reading more Haruki Murakami. and more Carlton Mellick. Excellent as always. Going to start The Power by Naomi Alderman.

Over 1 Year ago
Post-Wall Olga

I finished books 1-3 of the Dark Tower Series. The Wastelands was some wild shit. Fucking Blaine.

I was reading Wizard and Glass. I have it and the rest of the series on my Kindle. I plan to finish it eventually but realistically I am hoping to do a lot of my reading in Spanish While I am stateside. I want to save the majority if not all of my Kindle books for when I am back in Guatemala.

I am reading "Esperanza Renace" pretty good read. I read it in English when I was a kid. Extremely interesting to read it as an adult but in Spanish.

Next on my list are:

La Sombra del Viento, El Amor en los tiemps de Colera, Cien años de soledad, El general en su laberinto.

Once I finish those I plan on reading:

Eso (Steven Kings "IT" the spanish edition).

I want to buy the Spanish Editions of World War Z and the Stand but physical copies are ridiculously expensive. Ill have to purchase them digitally in the future.

Over 1 Year ago
S.O.H.

I was reading Wizard and Glass. I have it and the rest of the series on my Kindle. I plan to finish it eventually but realistically I am hoping to do a lot of my reading in Spanish While I am stateside.

Wizard and Glass is my personal favorite of the series. I used to read it over and over again, obsessively. Definitely let us know how you liked it.

Over 1 Year ago
fghje56j

Reading Teen Roland interacting with High Society is pretty dam amusing. It reads like War and Peace set in the Dark Tower Universe.

Its good.

Over 1 Year ago
S.O.H.

Reply to: books read 2019

Username
Password